Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Life-Changing Events

We went to Michigan for Christmas. We had a great time with the sibs and got some great gifts. I like to think that they liked what we got them, too.

Of course, we didn't want to advertise that we were not going to be home beforehand, so I didn't say anything in my blog about it. We learned our lesson long ago when my sister died. Because the Rosary and Funeral details were posted in the paper, our house were burglarized while we were at the services. Pretty crappy, huh? Lesson learned.

Yesterday, Hannah auditioned at the local Youth Film Academy. Eric said she nailed the audition and, sure enough, they called back today inviting her to be a student there. She may or may not do it (it's pretty pricey) but she was glad to have had the experience.

Today, we had some not-so-great news, too. My stepmother, who has been suffering from Multiple Sclerosis for years, passed away this morning. When my dad retired from the Navy, he brought his hard-drinking lifestyle with him to Michigan. His life was in a downward spiral when he met Barb. She and he both quit drinking completely and his life became the better for it. It enabled me to have a better relationship with him. Sure, he's still a grouchy curmudgeon, but he's alive and he's coherent. I'll credit Barb with much of the purpose in his life these last years.

Thanks Barb. May God greet you with open arms and a warm smile.

No comments: