Thursday, October 23, 2008

C'mon, be a good sport...

soapbox


What is a good sport? Someone who can take a joke? Someone who cheers their teammates on?

Today was my son's last Cross Country meet for the season. I arrived in time to see the varsity boys running, so I cheered my son's team on. The varsity runners all looked strong and came in fast to the finish line. My son is a freshman and, while he's a good runner, he's on the junior varsity team this year. His race finally came around and, like a proud mama, I cheered him on.

They had the junior varsity girls and boys running together and I got a little upset when the main pack of runners passed me for the finish line. Most of the spectators had drifted off and kids were coming along the home stretch with no support or encouragement from their coaches, parents or teammates. I thought that was really sad. So, one of the guys I had been talking to and I stayed and cheered for the last stragglers. There was one boy who was well behind everyone else and was doggedly plodding in to the finish line. I was so proud of him. No matter how far behind everyone he was, he never gave up and kept running.

To me, being a good sport isn't about just cheering for your team, although friendly rivalry is healthy. Being a good sport is going to a game that, as a team member, you can't participate in because you want to offer support to your teammates. Being a good sport is cheering for another team's runners, especially those who might be struggling.

Being a good sport is not letting your teammate come into the final stretch without some encouragement from you or your other teammates.

Shame on you, if you were one of those who let your teammates down.

/soapbox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that Shawn!