Friday, October 31, 2008

Will this day never end?

It started with me getting up at 0330 this morning. No, it wasn't a fluke. I have been getting up that early to make it to work by six at the new job out in Reston. Eric went and started the Jeep to warm it up and noticed that things in the Jeep were awry. The cupholder full of change? Empty. My trinket jewelry that I wore the other day? Gone. Thankfully, I didn't do as I was contemplating and leave my work laptop in there.

Then, Hannah and I had prepared for the last month to do the trick or treating thing. I was eager to go with her and also eager to do her makeup and help her get ready. She chose the extra long black press on nails and white face makeup for her goth-scary witch. But tonight, she balked at every scrap of makeup that I tried to apply. We argued and she decided not to go trick or treating.

Disappointment doesn't even begin to cover it. I figured this would likely be the last year that we'd be doing this together, but, I guess I was wrong. What's a helicopter mom to do? (Helicopter mom = mom who hovers)

I need a big drink. Then it's off to bed because I have duty for the next seven days. Wooo.

3 comments:

NOVA said...

Well I have a whole bag of candy left as we got maybe 35 trick or treats, so stop on by!

Anonymous said...

The kids around here still go trick or treating right through high school. It used to bug me until I had kids in high school. Now, I figure they could be out doing much worse things and I just make sure I have enough candy. They have fun!

This year Carianne had a party - plenty of candy already here at the house. SO....when everyone showed up in costume they split up into teams and I gave them each a list of items to find. When they knocked on doors they passed on the candy and asked for things like cold spaghetti, pumpkin guts, ABC gum, etc. They had a blast. First team back with all the items got gift cards to Star Bucks.

I think the people who answered doors had more fun than the kids did! So, don't despair...there are plenty more years left!

Anonymous said...

We have 8 bags of candy leftover...12 trick or treaters all night, we were sad...

Our girlfriend Roberta had her care STOLEN, while it warming up, sorry to hear someone ripped of your change and trinkets. Just how much heroin can you buy with trinkets?

xoxo
Barry